Thursday, September 24, 2009

Knowledge

A.) Do you feel like knowledge is the same thing as awareness? Can a student be knowledgable and still be unaware? Why do you think it is important to understand the difference?

B.) What is your interpretation of "academic utopia"? Describe the type of classroom setting, school, or class content that you feel would be ideal for learning and your own retention (i.e class debates, discussions, reading outside books, presentations, research).

18 comments:

Heather XD said...

A) I don't believe that knowledge is awareness. just because you know everything doesn't mean you are aware of the things around you. That's what i believe makes the difference of street smart and book smart.
You can know the world or know about the world, or know little bit of both....

B) Well i looked up utopia and i really don't of academics as a "Garden of Eden". I think of a classroom as a however i feel for the class. If that class brings stress, then the room has tension. If love being in the class, then it is fun and relaxing. A class id like is with out desks, a lot of interacting and and hands-on activities.

Jenna said...

A) Honestly I have to say that I agree with Heather. No awareness and being knowledgable are not the same thing. Someone can be very smart and know a lot of information, but the simple fact is that those people don't look at the bigger picture, so therefore they are unaware of their surrounding environment.

B) For me, the perfect academic utopia would be a classroom that didn't look like a classroom, where there were many open discussions, and each student cared about making the class successful.

K3LL! said...

A.) I think that there is a difference between knowledge and awareness. You do not necessarily have to know about something to be aware that it is happening. I agree with Heather about that distinguishing the line between "street smarts" and "book smarts".

B.) I think an academic uptopia would be very difficult to have. My idea of an academic utopia would be somewhere in which the teachers and students wouldn't have to be so strict and uptight, there would be a more comfortable environment so everyone would be able to focus on what they needed to without stressing about things outside of school. I think it would also be great if the students involved actually worked together and with the teacher to make a better learning atmosphere instead of trying to make everything difficult by not paying attention in cass, refusing to do their work, or anything like that...
: )

Rebecca said...

A) I also think there is a difference in knowledge and awareness. Like they said someone can be extremely smart in school and have no common sense what so ever.

B) My academic utopia would have to be a very relaxed stress free environment. A place where us students can come have fun, be ourselves, and have fun learning.

Allie Hardin said...

A.I dont think that knowledge is the same thing as awareness. Being knowledgeable can make you more aware in some instances, but not all. The difference is that someone can be book smart and some people can be common sense smart.

B. Academic Utopia would be where everyone is comfortable in class with all of your classmate. If you are comfortable with your classmates, it will help you participate in class and learn more.

Lexi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lexi said...

A.) I think knowledge and awareness don't necessarily have the same meaning but they go well together. Knowledge is something you know such as facts or truths about something. Awareness is having that knowledge to be informed or aware. Having knowledge and awareness are two great qualities that everyone should want.

B.)My Academic Utopia would be a classroom that could be open and honest in a good way. I would like to do a lot of experiments that involved the whole class and have class discussions about what we really learned. I have learned from my business law class that having class debates really does help students understand the concepts and main ideas of the chapter or ect.

LoGaN said...

A.) I think Knowledge and Awareness are two separate ideas, meaning that you can have knowledge but you don't necessarily have awareness. Knowledge is the ability to recall facts or processes in a certain subject. Awareness is being able to be alert or have an idea of what is going on at the time. Its important to understand these so people can try to gain both these qualities.

B.) My Academic Utopia would be a classroom that does hand on learning experiments everyday. Not so much of the just reading and memorizing out textbooks because thats boring and i don't retain the information as well. Debating or just a general discussions are also good, the let you see both sides of a story or piece information and make understanding it much much easier.

Kayla said...

a) I don't believe that knowledge is the same thing as awareness. A student can be knowledgeable and still be unaware. A student can be very smart but still be unaware of some of the issues around them.

b) My "academic utopia" would be a very comfortable classroom where there wasn't tensions between the students and the teacher. I always learn better in a more relaxed and comfortable environment. I believe that discussions within the classroom help me, so ideas about the topic can be passed around.

Austin said...

A) I think that awareness and knowledge are two different thinks. You can be smart and knowledgeable about something and know that facts but not really know what is going on with it.

B) Academic utopia is the perfect place to learn about something. I think that your class is the academic utopia because you explain in depth about what we are going over on the board and then give us assignment that give us practice and further explanation of the subject.

kelsey doss said...

No i think there is a difference. Knowledge is smarts and awareness is what u are cautious of. i think it is important to know the difference because it can help you be aware of he things you know from ur knowledge.

My academic utopia would be a good classroom, with honest people and is always open. The school would be full of fun but always successful!!

noah said...

i think that being knowledgeable can help you be aware. but some try to become so knowledgeable that they focus only on gaining knowledge and they lose sight of what is around them

in an academic utopia, there would be open discusions between students and teachers.
each student would have learning material constructed specifically for them.

Lucas said...

A) Knowledge and awareness aren't the same thing. They are related though in that if your aware of something that opens the door for you to be knowledgeable about it.

B) What i think of in an "academic utopia" I think of a class room where we would have hands on activities everyday and learn how to take what we've learned and apply it to our everyday life. It would also include debates about current problems and possible solutions.

-lakyn:) said...

A) I feel the same way heather does, there is a difference between knowledge and awareness. Just because you know everything doesnt mean you know everything around you.

b) my perfect classroom is where there are more open discussions and more one on one interaction with the teacher and the student.

kalie:] said...

a) i think that they are not the same. you can know a lot of things but still be unaware of all the things around you. yes i think a student could be unaware yet bet knowledgeable.

b) my perfect classroom would be where there would be alot more hands on activities like labs and stuff. I enjoy having fun while learning.

Samantha said...

A.) I don't think that knowledge and awareness are the same thing. I think that knowledge is having book smart and awareness is being aware with the class and knowing what's going on.

B.) My classroom utopia would be in a class with much energy. The whole classroom would have open discussions and participation from every student. The classroom would also work together on class assignments and have many hands on projects. That way every student would have awareness and knowledge in the classroom at all times.

brittany said...

A.) I don't feel like knowledge and awareness are the same thing but I feel like they are very similiar. Knowledge is more of what you know in school or life. Awareness on the other hand is more of what you see to come and being alert of your surroundings.

B.) My classroom utopia would be in a class where you don't just sit there and hear a lecture, more of where you are in a classroom with the teacher being more than a teacher. I personally like things to be related to life so I can grasp it better and for the whole class to be interacting with one another.

katikens said...

A. I think knowledge and awareness are to different things. A student could be knowlegdable but not aware. for example you could know there is a thing called breast cancer, but not be aware of the symptoms.
B. my academic utopia would be a class where I could actaully enjoy learning. I don't like a class where you go and listen to a teacher ramble on for the entire hour, it boring and it makes me sleepy. I like hands on stuff. For me if i can touch at and see it, it retains much easier.